Despite the fact that in the course of time Varde has been ravaged by a number of great fires - last in 1821 - a number of beautiful old buildings still remain today. On the main square stands the Church of St. James (Skt.Jakobi), from about 1150. There are a number of old town houses: the Kampmann House from 1781, the Schultz House from 1796, and the Sillasen House from 1797, in which the present tourist office is situated.
As we have mentioned, the town is very old. We know that the place was already settled in ancient times, as it was possible to ford the river at this point. The fortification, Vardehus, was also situated here, not far from the harbour and the churches of the town.